The 105th edition of the Indy 500 will take place this weekend in Indianapolis. 33 drivers drive 200 laps of just over four kilometers on an oval track. Holland has with Rinus’wikiVan Calmthot contends for the overall victory. Here are the funniest facts about the iconic race.
• The first edition of the Indy 500 was held in 1911. American Ray Aaron was crowned the first winner. Two years later, Frenchman Jules Jo became the first non-American person to win the race.
Will you watch the Indy 500?
• The Indy 500 winner traditionally drinks a pint of milk after the race. This tradition dates back to 1936, when Louis Mayer threw a large glass of milk after his victory. He did it on the advice of his mother, because it would be refreshing on a hot day. Since then, with a small exception from 1947 to 1955, it has become a tradition.
• The Borg Warner Cup is waiting for the fastest man at the end of the race. The Giant Silver Trophy is one of the most recognizable trophies in the world of sports. The trophy was introduced in 1936, and features photos of all previous winners. Since then, the face has been added every year, even after 1986 there is no longer a place. An additional standard was installed under the cup, then filled up again in 2004. The standard was replaced by a larger version, and now there is enough space on the cup for all photos until 2034.
• The race can be very long due to the constant danger of collisions and weather conditions. The 2008 edition was the longest in Indy 500 history. The race had to be interrupted three times due to rain and lasted for eight hours and 22 minutes.
• Traditionally, the public eats sausages at the Indy 500. If all the sausages and hot dogs sold are placed in a row, the sausage can go around the circle more than three times.
• Janet Guthrie was the first woman to compete in the Indy 500. She won this for the first time in 1977 and preceded the nine women who entered the race after that. A woman’s best achievement is the name Danica Patrick. In 2009 it came in third place.
Unlimited free access to Showbytes? And that can!
Log in or create an account and never miss any of the stars.