The 67-year-old man who shot President Reagan has been released unconditionally outside

The 67-year-old man who shot President Reagan has been released unconditionally outside

US media reported that the man who shot then US President Ronald Reagan in 1981 will be released unconditionally on June 15. Reagan survived the attack but required surgery. Three other people were injured.

John Hinckley Jr. shot Reagan on March 30, 1981, as the president was just leaving a hotel in Washington. A bullet from the armored presidential limousine struck Reagan in the chest. Hinckley, now 67, said he wanted to impress actress Jodie Foster with this attack.

Evidence of madness

The gunman was arrested immediately after the attack and did not try to escape or resist. During the trial he was declared mentally insane, he was not convicted of the attack. Until 2016, Hinckley was treated in a psychiatric hospital.

After that, he lived under his mother’s supervision and had to wear a transmitter so he could be tracked. All these conditions are now discontinued. He has followed all the rules for the past six years.

Travel Restrictions

The judge’s ruling means Hinckley will have unrestricted access to the internet and his travel restrictions will be lifted.

In September, Reagan’s daughter said she was against releasing Hinckley because he had never expressed regret.

See also  The skyscraper in San Francisco lost 7.6 cm last year

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.