De Balie is looking for an Education/Science/Tech Editor/Maker (Full-time, 40 hours)
Start: February 1, 2023
In the heart of Amsterdam, De Balie presents talk shows and public programming on topics of interest to all of us for many different groups. Through her programming, De Balie constantly draws the attention of the public, politicians, and the media to developments in society. But De Balie is more than that: it is a breeding ground for new initiatives and ideas, it is a think tank. It is the place where artists, scholars, and journalists comment on social developments and where politicians and decision-makers connect with artists, thinkers, opinion leaders, and the public. In thirty-five years, De Balie has grown into a phenomenon in the field of talks, high-profile interviews, films, and art projects. We organize discussions, lectures, daily film screenings, brainstorming sessions and festivals. We often do this in a mixed form with art: film, theatre, literature, music or the visual arts.
the counter Consists of a motivated team of around 80 colleagues. The editor/program maker is part of the editorial team, which consists of 14 editors, and prepares software on behalf of and with management and core editors. The activities are substantial and productive in nature.
We are looking for a software maker who wants to create software at the intersection of education, science and/or technology. An affinity for the arts and one of those areas is an advantage.
What are you going to do? You are…
• Create programs under the supervision of one of the primary editors.
• Works with lead editors and management on overall programming for De Balie.
• Works on programs in collaboration with partners.
• Raising funds for programs, in collaboration with fundraisers.
• Coordination of programs in the evenings themselves, and you can also coordinate them.
what are you looking for?
• For a versatile person who has experience putting together programs and (press) projects and is able to implement programs under supervision;
• The person who is responsible for monitoring and complying with financial agreements.
• Thinker and doer who provides suggestions for program content.
• An outgoing and flexible person who enjoys teamwork, performing and hosting before and during programmes.
what are you preparing
• Level of work and academic thinking, with an open mind. We encourage everyone with the level to apply regardless of education level;
• Enthusiasm, criticism and stress resistance.
• Affinity with the education, science and/or technology and cultural sector.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Good knowledge of Dutch and English.
What do we offer?
• An inspiring, dynamic and cosmopolitan workplace in the heart of Amsterdam.
• Work full time (40 hours) with a suitable salary in the cultural sector. This position is scaled according to CAO Dutch Podia salary house (scale 5, step dependent on age and experience)
• An annual contract with a view to extension.
• Good pension system.
• A professional and enthusiastic team of colleagues.
• An extensive network of interesting partners, speakers and facilitators.
Send your letter of motivation with CV indicating “Education/Science/Technology Editor vacancy” to Bente Zwankwezen, Editorial Coordinator: [email protected]. You can also call her with questions about the job, through December 23.
The deadline for this vacancy is 30th December. We want to start interviews as early as possible, so candidates who apply early may be invited to interview before the deadline. If there is a suitable candidate, we may close the application earlier. So don’t wait too long to apply!
Acquisition in response to this vacancy is not estimated.
“Travel enthusiast. Alcohol lover. Friendly entrepreneur. Coffeeaholic. Award-winning writer.”