A Pentagon spokesman reported that the US Air Force will send a number of teams to help Indonesia search for a submarine that has lost 53 sailors on board. Indonesian President Joko Widodo also announced the same day that the authorities would do everything in their power to locate the submarine. The Navy had previously announced that oxygen would remain available to the crew until Saturday.
The US Department of Defense is “saddened” by the news of the submarine, which went off the radar on Wednesday, during a maneuver off the coast of Bali. “Our thoughts are with the Indonesian sailors and their families,” a Pentagon spokesman said.
“At the invitation of the Indonesian government, we are sending air forces to help search for the missing submarine.” The spokesman said US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin will speak with his Indonesian counterpart Prabowo Subianto on Friday to offer his condolences and discuss how the United States can provide more assistance.
Leaked oil was found where the submarine was covered. This indicated the potential for damage to the fuel tank and increased fears of a fatal catastrophe on the submarine.
Indonesia is already receiving support from Malaysia and Singapore, which have sent ships. France, Germany and Australia also offered to help. Indonesia sent a helicopter and six ships to locate the German-made KRI Nanggala-402.
“Pop culture enthusiast. Unable to type with boxing gloves on. Analyst. Student. Explorer.”