Nick Kyrgios has confirmed he won’t play again in 2017 as he focuses his energy on being fully fit on home soil for the Australian summer.
Kyrgios has struggled with shoulder, hip and knee injuries throughout the entire season and he failed to advance beyond the second round at any Grand Slam. It’s his worst combined result at major tournaments since 2013.
“This year hasn’t been as successful as I would have liked, especially at the slams although it has been posItive in some other areas,” Kyrgios said in a statement posted on his social media accounts.
“It’s been no secret that I have had some sad moments to deal with away from the court which have added to my disappointments throughout the year.”
Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios will not play again this season.
— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) October 19, 2017
Earlier this month Kyrgios was booed off the court at the Shanghai Masters when the fiery 22-year-old opted to walk off after losing the first set to Steve Johnson.
Last week he was sent crashing out of the European Open in Belgium by veteran left-hander Ruben Bemelmans. It marked 98th ranked Bemelmans’ first ever win against a top 20 player.
“I will do all I can to improve for 2018 and I would like to thank all of you who supported me, reached out and sent encouragement and positive energy through 2017,” Kyrgios said.
“Thank you, and see you in 2018.”
Nick Kyrgios was booed off court at the Shanghai Masters because he quit after losing a tie-break in the 1st set…
Does not give a F*CK 😂 pic.twitter.com/Y3sz0Jdb2Y
— Team FA (@TeamFA) October 10, 2017
Kyrgios is hopeful the long break will allow him to recapture his best form in time for the Australian Open.
However, it’s eerily reminiscent to the end of Kyrgios’ 2016 season.
Last year Kyrgios was suspended for tanking at the 2016 Shanghai Masters and he did not play another ATP Tour match until the 2017 Australian Open.
He suffered a meltdown at the grand slam losing an epic second round battle against Andreas Seppi, seemingly losing concentration and blaming heavy legs throughout the encounter.
Although it’s his own decision to end this season early (and not as a result of suspension), Kyrgios will still enter the first grand slam of the year with minimal tour-level match practise.
It remains to be seen if he can capitalise on the extended break.
Kyrgios joins Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka, Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic and Tomas Berdych to call a premature end to their 2017 seasons.
— Sports Sunday (@SportsSunday) October 14, 2017