LOS ANGELES, CA/USA: Following the Billabong Pro Tahiti, the seventh stop on the Samsung Galaxy ASP World Championship Tour, ASP are pleased to announce that the event generated the largest live audience in the history of professional surfing. The ASP webcast delivered 2.2 million hours of live competition and reached more than 12 million households on live television.
“We’re just returning from the extraordinary shores of Tahiti and the event was a tremendous challenge for the athletes and a big milestone for the ASP,” said ASP Chief Strategy & Marketing Officer, Graham Stapelberg. “We are striving to connect more and more people globally to the action, adventure and athleticism of professional surfing, and these figures show that there’s a steady improvement in audience engagement and growth across all sectors.”
The sport and surfing world tuned in to watch the world’s best surfers face 20+ foot swells at Teahupoo, one of the most dangerous and remote waves on the planet. During the Billabong Pro Tahiti 1.9 million unique visitors logged on to ASPWorldTour.com a total of 6.1 million times. They, along with viewers on YouTube and other online platforms, watched 2.2 million hours of the live webcast, with 45-percent of the online audience watching on a mobile device.
Audience figures from the Billabong Pro Tahiti:*
- 2.2 million hours of live webcast watched
- Average watch time of 37 minutes
- 45-percent of the audience watched on a mobile device
- 1.9 million unique online visitors to ASPWorldTour.com during the 11-day Tahiti event, 6.1 million visits total
- More than 12 million household reach from our broadcast TV partners that include: FUEL TV (Australia), ESPN (Brazil), Time Warner Cable (Hawaii), MCS Extreme (France/Europe), Sport TV (Portugal) and more.
US television audiences can watch all the highlights from the Billabong Pro Tahiti on ABC Sports on Sunday, September 7, 2014 at 2:30pm ET / 11:30am PT.
The next stop on the 2014 Samsung Galaxy ASP World Championship Tour, the Hurley Pro at Trestles and Swatch Women’s Pro Trestles, will run in Southern California from September 9 – 20, 2014.
Follow Commentary Box Sports on Social Media!