Via NRL Media
The NRL said today that Canberra Raiders forward Josh Papalii has been withdrawn from the Kangaroos team for the 2017 ANZAC Test next Friday.
CEO Todd Greenberg said he had been advised by the Raiders that Papalii will face a disciplinary hearing before the club’s Board early next week.
“Given that Josh pleaded guilty to drink driving we believe it is inappropriate for him to join the Kangaroos camp,” Mr Greenberg said.
“We would expect that the decision to stand him down from the Test will be taken into consideration when the Raiders Board considers the matter next week.”
Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga said he supported the decision by the NRL to stand down Papalii from the ANZAC Test match, against New Zealand on Friday, May 5.
“I have spoken to Josh and, while it is disappointing for him to miss a Test, he understands the decision was made in the best interests of the team,” Meninga said.
“The game has made a really strong stance against this behaviour and I’m a very strong believer that this stance is the right course of action.
“This doesn’t prevent Josh from making himself available for the World Cup at the end of the year and I reiterated that to Josh today.”