Sunday 22 October 2017 / 09:12 PM

NRL warns against flouting concussion rules

The NRL warned today that it will impose heavy penalties and strengthen the concussion policy if necessary to protect player welfare.

Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said he was concerned about several serious head injury incidents which had occurred in the first three weeks of the Telstra Premiership.

He said those incidents are currently being investigated and action will be taken against any club which has breached the rules.

Mr Greenberg said that if further measures are needed to ensure clubs abide by the concussion rules they will be introduced.

“Rugby League led the way in implementing a policy to deal with head knocks and concussion last year – and the initial club support was encouraging,” Mr Greenberg said.

“We are determined to maintain our leadership position in this area because we have a duty to protect our players.

“The last thing anyone wants to see is players put at risk by being sent back on the field when they should be taken out of the game, assessed and treated.

“So, if we need to change our policy relating to concussion to make it stronger then that is what we will do.”

Mr Greenberg said the NRL would complete its investigations into several incidents before commenting any further.

Add Comment

About the author

Comm Box Sports

Commentary Box Sports invites a forum of truth and uncensored discussion of not only Australia’s greatest past time, the worlds. We offer around the world, up to date coverage of the sports we love and live by.

More nrl News

Special Features

PARTNERS