Saturday 24 February 2018 / 04:51 PM


Melbourne City continued their storming start to the new season, the Roar and Nix played out a six-goal thriller and stunning set pieces were a feature in Round 4 of the A-League season. Commentary Box Sports wraps all of the action right here.

FC down Glory to remain unbeaten

A dominant performance from defending champions Sydney FC saw them get past Perth 2-0, in a result which leaves them second on the ladder at the conclusion of the first month.

FC peppered the Glory through the opening 45 minutes, firing 15 shots at keeper Liam Reddy but not getting a result until the final minute of the half, when Bobo, having pinged an earlier penalty off the crossbar, converted from the spot. The Brazilian forward had a chance to extend the lead when he got one-on-one with Reddy on the hour, but the veteran shot-stopper continued to put on a masterclass of keeping to see his side remain in the contest, while at the other end they enjoyed their own chances on goal. But four minutes into additional time FC were awarded their third penalty of the day, with Polish import Adrian Mierzejewski sealing the two-goal victory.

Phoenix blow huge lead v stubborn Roar

Up 3-0 after 20 minutes, the Wellington Phoenix somehow found a way to draw 3-all with Brisbane on Saturday night, while the Roar simply refused to go away in tough circumstances on the road.

After former Roar striker Andrija Kaluderovic shocked the stadium with a headed goal in the opening minute, the Phoenix refused to take the foot off the pedal and had doubled their lead by the 18th when Roy Krishna belted it in from well outside the box. Not three minutes later Krishna turned provider, laying on a lovely ball for Kaluderovic’s second, and Wellington should have been home before the first quarter of the match was even complete. But Massimo Maccarone’s tap in just before the break gave Brisbane some life, before poor positioning from young keeper Keegan Smith saw the Roar grab a second off an otherwise innocuous free kick into the box. A Maccarone penalty with eight minutes to go – which came with complimentary taunting and post-goal swinging handbags – drew things up and saw Brisbane grab a miraculous point from a game which had appeared a lost cause just about from the very start.

City cast United aside, remain perfect this season

In-form import Ross McCormack struck twice in the space of five minute in the first half to lift Melbourne City to their fourth win in as many games, beating Adelaide 2-0 away.

When United keeper Paul Izzo clattered Stefan Mauk on 11 minutes, it was McCormack who stepped up to smash the ensuing penalty home, before he scored again a short time later via a brilliant curling free kick. Adelaide got a number of shots on target away through the remainder of the half and into the second, before City midfielder Osama Malik’s dismissal from a second yellow set up a nail-biting finish. But the visitors weren’t to be run down, maintaining their sport at the top of the A-league ladder.

Strong finish earns Jets a point

Western Sydney dominated the first half of the match and led for close to an hour before eventually settling for a draw with Newcastle.

Wanderers midfielder Jumpei Kusukami was causing the Jets trouble from the get go, threading the ball into the box for an early chance, before unleashing a shot on 16 minutes which deflected out to a waiting Mark Bridge on the edge of the box, who duly put it in the top of the net with a stunning first-time shot. Kusukami was on fire and came close to setting up a number of goals each side of half-time, but instead the Jets started to find their way in the contest, helped by the impact of Joey Champness off the bench. Newcastle scored with 22 minutes left thanks to prolific Irishman Roy O’Donovan to rescue a point and sit third on the table.

Victory repel late raid in 1-1 draw with Mariners

A first-half stalemate was followed by an action-packed second where the Melbourne Victory and Central Coast Mariners netted a goal each but couldn’t be split.

Both sitting close to the bottom of the ladder, the two teams couldn’t be separated through the opening 45 minutes as they both appeared to be struggling for confidence at Central Coast Stadium. Victory defender Thomas Deng had the best chance of the half, but smashed his header off the post. Just before the hour there was finally a breakthrough, with Connor Pain hesitating on the edge of the box before dribbling through some woeful defence to find the top of the net. The joy would last less than 10 minutes before Leroy George curled home a lovely free kick from the top of the box to ensure the points would be shared.

[YouTube – Matchday Highlights]

Add Comment

About the author

Corey Rosser

One of CBS’s newest contributors, Te Aroha product Corey is the New Zealand correspondent for, the editor for the excellent new site Kiwi League Central, and a guru of the local Auckland rugby league scene.

More football-a-league News

Special Features