Thursday 22 March 2018 / 02:06 AM


It was a stunning weekend of A-League action, featuring two stoppage-time winners and two more games where the result was decided by a goal in the final five minutes of regulation time.

Keogh hat-trick steers Glory to away win

Perth striker Andy Keogh’s three-goal haul powered the underdog side to an important 3-2 win over heavily favoured Melbourne City FC at AAMI Park on Friday night. Keogh’s goals in the 7th and 49th minutes were negated by Melbourne’s Bruno Fornaroli (44’) and Fernando Brandan (60’), but the Irishman had one more piece of magic up his sleeve, capitalising on a bad defensive error by Josh Rose to chip in the winner in the 85th minute.

Roar claw to narrow win over Mariners

Brisbane Roar have their first win of the A-League season, but they were forced to work hard for the 1-0 result at Central Coast Stadium. Thomas Kristensen’s 33rd-minute proved the decisive moment of the match. The Mariners’ winless run extended to 13 games, while they have not kept a clean sheet for 32 A-League outings.

Catch the highlights HERE.

Victory down defending champs in thriller

New Zealander Marco Rojas’ goal deep into stoppage time saw Melbourne Victory down Adelaide United 2-1 in an A-League barnburner at Coopers Stadium. The visitors scored first through the mercurial Besart Berisha midway through the first half, but the match appeared destined for a stalemate following Tarek Elrich’s 68th-minute strike for Adelaide. Rojas landed the dagger, however, after smart work by Berish and teenager Sebastian Pasquali in the 93rd minute.

Catch the highlights HERE.

Jets stage late comeback

The unfancied Newcastle Jets’ stunning start to the 2016-17 A-League season continued as they snared a late draw with last year’s runners-up, Western Sydney Wanderers, at Hunter Stadium. Wanderers built a 2-0 lead, but Nigel Boogaard’s 81st-minute header – the 20,000th goal in A-League history – and Andrew Hoole’s 88th-minute free kick secured a point for the surprise-packet Jets, who remain unbeaten.

Catch the highlights HERE.

Sydney FC leave it late in Wellington

After destroying their opposition 4-0 in each of the first two rounds, league leaders Sydney FC waited until the 92nd minute to sink the hapless Wellington Phoenix 1-0 at Westpac Stadium. Milos Ninkovic side-footed the stoppage-time winner for the visitors, crushing the Phoenix’s hopes after the home side had two goals pulled back for offside. Wellington dominated long periods of the match, but remain the only club without a competition point or a goal in the 2016-17 A-League campaign. Sydney, meanwhile, possess the only 3-0 record in the competition.

Catch the highlights HERE.

[YouTube – ALeagueHD]

Add Comment

About the author

Will Evans

CBS’s Editor-in-Chief and lead rugby league, union and cricket writer, Will is a Christchurch-based freelancer, also writing for Big League and Rugby League Review magazines, and The New Daily website. Will has written four rugby league books.

More football-a-league News

Special Features