The NFL Draft began in prime time on Thursday night. Take a look at how the first round played out.
1. Kansas City Chiefs: Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
A bit of surprise with the first pick which just proves that this draft was pretty lousy in terms of “for sure” type of players. Eric Fisher is a good pick but it will be interesting to see who has the better career between him and Luke Joeckel.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars: Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
Maybe Jacksonville would trade down but after seeing Joeckel fall it made it easier to select.
3. Miami Dolphins: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
Speed burns. Or in this case, makes you a lot more money than you thought.
4. Philadelphia Eagles, Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
5. Detroit Lions: Ezekial Ansah, DE, BYU
6. Cleveland Browns: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU
Maybe a reach but Mingo has loads of talent on the defensive side of the ball.
7. Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
8. St. Louis Rams: Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Best wide receiver in the draft and St. Louis traded up to get him.
9. New York Jets: Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
No Darrelle Revis means New York needed to take a cornerback in the draft.
10. Tennessee Titans: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama
11. San Diego Chargers: D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama
Philip Rivers needs more protection so this was an obvious pick.
12. Oakland Raiders: DJ Hayden, CB, Houston
13. New York Jets: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
14. Carolina Panthers: Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
15. New Orleans Saints: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
16. Buffalo Bills: EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State
This was the “wow” pick of the first round. EJ Manuel was questioned to even have a future as a starting quarterback in the NFL but now he’s a first round pick.
Interesting selection but Buffalo does need to upgrade that position. I just think that maybe they selected the wrong guy.
17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia
18. San Francisco 49ers: Eric Reid, S, LSU
19. New York Giants: Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
20. Chicago Bears: Kyle Long, OG, Oregon
21. Cincinnati Bengals: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
Cincinnati is loaded with youthful talent and now they have the best tight end in the draft. Nice pick.
22. Atlanta Falcons: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
Atlanta needed to upgrade its secondary so this pick makes sense.
23. Minnesota Vikings: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
24. Indianapolis Colts: Bjoern Werner, DE, Florida State
25. Minnesota Vikings: Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
26. Green Bay Packers: Datone Jones, DE, UCLA
27. Houston Texans: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Houston needed to find somebody to place on the opposite side of Andre Johnson and they’re hoping Hopkins is that type of talent.
28. Denver Broncos: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
29. Minnesota Vikings: Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
30. St. Louis Rams: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia
31. Dallas Cowboys: Travis Frederick, C, Wisconsin
32. Baltimore Ravens: Matt Elam, S, Florida