Remember when Steve Nash joined the Lakers? Remember when Dwight Howard was traded to the Lakers? Remember how the Lakers were expected to win another NBA title?
Fast forward several months, to Friday night, and that couldn’t look bleaker. Kobe Bryant injured his Achilles on Friday night pretty much ending any chance of Los Angeles competing in the NBA Playoffs.
Let’s dive into what we saw recently in the NBA.
What has happened in the past couple days:
• Kobe Bryant injures Achilles against Golden State. They are in major trouble without Bryant, and who knows if he’ll ever be the same. He’s getting up there in age, he’s already on the decline and he only wanted to play a couple more years to begin with. Ouch, that hurts this season and beyond.
• 76ers hope Doug Collins steps away, sources say
• Kevin Durant scores 31 as Thunder demolish Golden State by 19
• Bulls snap Knicks’ 13-game winning streak. I’ve said it time and time again: don’t count out the Chicago Bulls in terms of defeating high quality teams on any given night. They have players who can rise to the occasion, and their defensive mentality will continuously keep them in games
• Spurs waive Stephen Jackson; he will be a decent pick up because of his ability to knock down the outside shot
• Miami Heat top Boston Celtics 109-101. Boston is still a team I wouldn’t want to see in the playoffs
• Knicks officially waive Kurt Thomas, the oldest player in NBA
• Thunder’s Kevin Durant fined for ‘menacing’ throat slash gesture
• Brooklyn Nets secure home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs with a win over the Pacers 117-109
• Grizzlies top Rockets 82-78 in low scoring affair. James Harden scored 30 points in the loss
Latest injury news to note:
• Kobe Bryant likely out 6-9 months with Achilles injury. Here is his Facebook rant following the injury. He lays it all on the line:
“This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I’ve done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen?!? Makes no damn sense.”?
Now I’m supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that?? I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that was. Maybe this is how my book ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me…Then again maybe not!”
• Hornets’ forward Anthony Davis suffers sprained left knee; he will miss the rest of the season
• Knicks’ Carmelo on Derrick Rose’s rehab: ‘I wish people would stop rushing Derrick back’. Couldn’t agree more, Carmelo
• Andrew Bogut cleared of ankle damage after latest injury scare
What to look forward to in the next couple days:
• Miami hosts Chicago as the Heat look for revenge after they snapped their long winning streak
• Kobe-less Lakers host San Antonio on Sunday
• Milwaukee gets a tough road test in Oklahoma City as they continue to push for the playoffs